So I was contemplating which recipe to share with you first and since I posted a photo of this cake on my Instagram, @theearthrunner, it seems like the perfect place to start!
This is an earthy, healthy and delicious cake you can whip up on a cold winter’s afternoon- perfect served warm or cold with some natural yoghurt!
185g caster sugar
185g butter, unsalted
2 eggs, medium
50g ground almonds
200g self-raising flour
1tsp baking powder
1 large green cooking apple
A sprinkle of chopped almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees fan, grease and line a deep round cake tin (I use a loose base 8″ tin).
2. In a bowl add the raisins and 2 tbsp water, leave to rest.
3. Peel and thinly slice the apple, add to a bowl and stir together with 1 tbsp lemon juice.
3. Cream the butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy.
4. Sift the flour, spices and baking powder into a separate bowl.
5. Beat in one of the eggs to the buttercream mix, then add 2tbsp of the flour mix and stir, before beating in the second egg.
6. Add the remaining flour mix, followed by folding in the raisins.
7. Place half the batter into the cake tin, and top with the sliced apple, saving a few slices (around 10).
8.Add the remaining cake batter and press the saved apple slices into the batter, then sprinkle the chopped almonds on top.
9. Bake in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes, until golden-brown.
10. Leave to cool completely before removing from the cake from the tin.
I hope you enjoy making and trying this lovely winter warming cake!
That’s all for now, Claudia 🙂