Dunked into a big mug of coffee, or crumbled on top of ice cream, these biscotti are one of my favourite things to make and share with friends.
225g Plain Flour
225g Caster Sugar (1:1 ratio of flour to sugar)
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Medium Eggs (I use 126g of egg), beaten together
100g Dried Cranberries
100g Pistachio Kernels
1/2 Orange Zest
1. Preheat the oven to 140 degrees fan.
2. Sift the flour and caster sugar into a bowl together and stir until evenly distributed.
3. Add in a pinch of salt and the baking powder and stir.
4. Beat the eggs together and add in a tsp at a time to the dry mixture stirring as you add and in between additions. You may not need all the egg, and only add enough egg until you have a firm dough that is not at all sticky.
5. Roughly chop the pistachios and cranberries then incorporate them into the dough by hand.
6. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface very gently. Split the dough in half and roll out into 2 logs of 4cm diameter.
7. Place the logs on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper at least 5cm apart and place in the oven to bake for 33-35 minutes.
8. Take out of the oven and leave to cool in the tray for 12 minutes until firmer, then move to a chopping board.
9. Cut the logs diagonally 2.5cm thick, then put them back onto the baking tray and back into the oven for a further 17 minutes. Turn the biscotti over and return to the oven for a further 17 minutes until crisp.
10. Cool completely on a wire rack, then store in an airtight container.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Why not substitute the pistachio and cranberries for these other delicious flavours:
- The zest of 2 lemons, 35g poppy seeds, 2 tsp of lemon juice.
- 100g dried chopped apricots, 100g whole chopped almonds, 1/2 tsp almond extract.
- 50g good white chocolate melted, 10og macadamia nuts chopped, 85g dried raspberries.
There are so many different ways to flavour your biscotti so use this as a chance to get creative!